Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Somebody in the house turns one today

My little girl is now one! I can't believe how fast (and slow) the past year has gone. She has grown from a squinty blob to a walking, talking little girl. The milestones that we were so excited about at the time, rolling over, sitting up, first smile are now vauge blurs. I can't even remember the month that she did these things. I should have written them down. I can remember days of incredible love, where I thought that I would explode from the strength of my feelings, to days where I would have happily traded her in for another baby. Preferably one that sleeps.

Our sleep training is moving along. She is in her own room now and in her cot. She is now sleeping for hours at a time and last night she settled herself twice after a brief awakening. But she is also still waking up screaming sometimes and won't go back to sleep for hours. Everything I read about sleep training they certainly never said that it would take a month and the crying has not stopped yet. But I can see that she is feeling much brighter during the day with quality sleep at night. The best feeling is when I put her to bed, with lots of love and cuddles and she just settles herself down and falls asleep. Less fun is 2.30 - 4.30 am standing on the edge of her cot, screaming her head off. I think that this time of night is hard for her because she is still tired, but has just had eight hours uninterupted sleep which is the longest she has slept since birth.

I must go and take birthday girl out for a walk. I am going to get her her first baby chino as well.

1 comment: